Annual Review of the Institute for Advanced Social ResearchInformation for Contributors
About the Bulletin
Annual Review of the Institute for Advanced Social Research is the bulletin of the Institute for Advanced Social Research at Kwansei Gakuin University devoted to the critical analysis and discussion of issues in social sciences. Empirical, theoretical and historical articles are all welcome. The bulletin receives original articles, research notes, book reviews annually for both peer and non-peer-reviewed publications only on the understanding that they are original pieces, should not have been published or be simultaneously under consideration elsewhere, and that any previous form of publication or any current consideration in other languages is disclosed.
How to Submit
Manuscripts should be submitted as an MS-Word file attached to an e-mail to the Editorial Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Instructions for Preparing Manuscripts
1. Manuscripts for publication as original articles written in English should consist of a maximum of 8,000 words including abstracts, tables, figures, notes and references. Author should include an abstract of maximum 200 words, and 3 to 5 keywords.
2. Manuscripts for publication as research notes written in English should consist of a maximum of 4,000 words including tables, figures, notes and references.
3. Manuscripts for publication as book reviews written in English should consist of a maximum of 2,400 words including tables, figures, notes and references.
1. Manuscripts should be typed on A4 (297x210mm) size paper, using margins: top-25.4 mm, bottom-25.4 mm, left-25.4 mm, and right-25.4 mm. Pages should be numbered.
2. All authors are required to provide a covering letter indicating e-mail address, the telephone and fax number (if available) of each author, and should clearly indicate who is willing to handle correspondence at all stages. Please add the words “corresponding author” into parentheses after his/her name, and provide his/her full address details.
3. The first page of text should be a separate page and should include (in the order given): the title of the manuscript, the name(s) of the author(s) and the institutional affiliation of the author(s).
4. Titles of manuscripts should be brief, attractive and accurate in describing what the paper is all about.
5. Authors should supply a running head (short title) of no more than 50 characters (including spaces) in the main body of the manuscripts.
6. Subdivision of the manuscripts: Please divide the manuscripts into clearly defined and numbered sections. The Subsections should be numbered 1., 2., (then 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2; 1.2, etc.) (abstract, acknowledgement, references, glossary and appendix are excluded from the section numbering). For example:
1. Introduction (Heading Level-1: Bold)
1.1 Methodology (Heading Level-2: Italic)
1.1.1 Analysis of Results (Heading Level-3: Normal)
7. Tables, figures, graphs, maps, appendices etc. should be embedded into the text, and numbered in Arabic numerals in order of appearance in the text.
8. Headings should be placed above each table and below each figure following this layout:
Table 1. Inbound Tourists in Japan by Nationality (Italic)
Figure 4. Changing Patterns in Inbound Tourism of Japan (Italic)
9. Notes and sources should be placed under each table/figure
10. Use endnotes rather than footnotes. The location of endnotes within the text should be indicated by superscript numbers.
11. Place the acknowledgement or sponsoring information after the main body and before the references.
C. House Style
1. For the Title of the manuscript, use Times New Roman, 14 point, double line spacing, paragraph spacing: before paragraph-1 line; after paragraph-1 line. Set the alignment as ‘center’.
2. For the main text (including headings, tables, references, acknowledgement, glossary, and appendixes), use Times New Roman, 12 point, 1.5 line spacing, paragraph spacing: before paragraph-0.5 line; after paragraph-0.5 line. Set the alignment as ‘justified’.
3. For the abstract, keywords and footnotes, use Times New Roman, 11 point, single line spacing, paragraph spacing: before paragraph-0.5 line; after paragraph-0.5 line. Set the alignment as ‘justified’.
4. When using an acronym for the first time, the full name should be provided with the acronym in parentheses.
5. For quotations from other publications, always provide page number(s).
The full list of references should be given in alphabetical order, on a separate sheet at the end of the article using the "International Journal of Japanese Sociology" style. Please refer to the following link for more on reference style: